So I’m turning thirty in a day or two and I’m excited. It’s been a long road but finally things are starting to gel. I’m finishing up an exhilarating two year grad program in which I was able to geek out on culture and theory, code, software, countless web apps and social media. Most importantly, I gave myself permission to let art become a larger part of my life than ever before and as a result cultivated a voice I can never imagine being without.
And I gots a job! A real one, with benefits and flushing toilets! One that I think is as close as I’ve come to a job soulmate. One that comes with a totally blank palate for me to paint (swoon) and cool co-workers and start-up momentum.
In reality, I know that the road ahead is still tenuous and heavy; however, my goals and dreams stay light and positive as they should. I thought it would be appropriate to put them down here in cyber ink for fun and to celebrate year 30, the year of the firey dragon.
Inspired by the amazing firestarter Christina Rosalie, here is my list of 30 dreams and goals for the next 30 years, small to large, specific to broad, soon to far.
- learn guitar
- have a gallery show of my photography
- see more live music
- laugh, a lot
- go to an awesome music festival like SXSW or Coachalla
- visit my sister and brother in law in LA
- go turkey hunting with my brother
- have more outdoor bonfires with friends
- meet my soulmate
- own a house and make it beautiful
- ski in Japan
- make enough money to be comfortable and generous
- dance more
- go on a week canoe trip in the Quetico Wilderness
- go on a hut to hut ski trip in Europe
- visit Iceland
- learn to free-dive
- organize a collaborative documentary
- have a family
- attend a TEDx
- organize a conference for creative, tech folk in BTV
- work with smart, innovative and creative people to create something revolutionary
- grow flowers and make bouquets
- speak Spanish more regularly
- make my own cheese
- have a gallery show of my dad’s photos from Germany
- do a photo series using Ed’s Mamiya
- take more self portraits
- remember friends’ birthdays
- ride a dirt bike
Here’s to the year of the dragon, and many more!